Question: High fever could it be Swine Flu?

mudtrucksr4girls - Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:08 pm

My 10 month old ran a fever of 102.7 last night then this morning it was 102.6. I gave him Motrin it went down to around 100 but after his nap his fever went to 105.1. He has not shown any other symtoms. He had a sinus infection about two weeks ago other than that he has been fine. I need to know if I should take him in to the doctors and/or get him tested for the Swine Flu?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:43 pm

Fever is a classic symptom with the flu. Most cases right now are turning out to be H1N1. It is up to you whether or not to get a firm lab diagnosis but if it is flu the risk is to others who are at the doctor's office. Your child could expose many so if the fever and discomfort are controlled with the Motrin and drinking lots of fluids you should be fine to let it run its course if your son has no underlying medical conditions which might put him at risk. He should not be taken into crowds, schools, day care until he has been fever free for 24 hours, without the effects of the fever reducing medication.

Complications of flu are often the most concerning part so if your child seems lethargic, unresponsive, irritable to the point of not wanting to be touched or held, refusing fluids, not waking up, not urinating, skin bluish or gray, breathing problems, or if fever remains high in spite of Tylenol or Motrin, you should call the pediatrician who may advise you to come in and how to handle the exposure. Sometimes they ask you to use a different door and avoid the waiting room. In some cases hospitalization and antiviral drugs are needed.

But, keep in mind that fever could indicate other infection besides flu so in the absence of any other symptom you must consider what else might be causing the fever. He had no sore throat or ear pain? Be alert to any indication of infection somewhere in the body or if you get an uneasy feeling about how things are going.

|