Question: 18 month old baby, recurring vinegary smelling diorrhea....

corsmum - Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi, I'm hoping that there is someone that can help me. My son is 18 months old, and ever since he was a few months old he has been suffering on and off with this usually watery, vinegary smelling diorrhea. It can last from just a day to a few days, and is always accompanied with a really bad, sometimes yeast like rash. The rash at its worst can cause him extreme discomfort, as it will have little sores and be very very red. When he was a baby and first got this bad rash it took a few months to clear up, eventually with the use of prescribed thrush cream (sorry can't remember the name) Nowadays when he gets the rash it would usually take about a week to clear it up. He also suffers with dry skin, which on one occasion he did scratch and make bleed an area on the top of his neck, under his hairline. I cannot use any shop bought products at all on him, I bath him in diprobath, wash him with aquous cream and then lather him in diprobase. This keeps his dry skin at bay but doesnt completly get rid of it. We used Dermol lotion as well once but that was useless. In addition to this, I thought I might mention that he is also always tired and very pale, although I am fairly pale myself. My other son is not pale. He sleeps through the night, but he also gets very tired and subsequently very grumpy in the day as well. He would sleep most of the day probably if you let him. I am just starting to wonder if all these things could be linked, and was just seeking some informal advice before I go to the GP. If anyone can offer any sort of advice I would be extremely grateful. Thank you for reading!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:08 pm

User avatar Hello,In your child you must rule out an aquired zinc deficiency which can cause diaorrhea,dry skin as well as yeast like erosions around the anal area.This could be due to malabsorption states,or maternal or bottlemilk low zinc content.Do discuss with you doctor and if so zinc supplimentation would go a long way in clearing the symptoms .Best wishes.

|