Question: My 3 Month Old Might Have Biliary Atresia

Italian_gurl_LaVeta - Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:42 pm

My daughter is in the NICU and we are trying to figure out if she has Biliary Atresia. I am concerned because her direct bili and biliruben jump up and down all the time and shes has slow growth has developed jaundice, used to have clay colored stools but they got better and her hyda scan came up abnormal and she has sludge in her liver, and she has the cmv virus, and im not sure but i think her skin might be turning a little bronze colored but what confuses me is her bili doesnt seem high enough to where it would be bili atresia but she has all the symptoms. I would like to know if a liver biopsy is neccisary. She was born really pre-mature.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:41 pm

User avatar Hello Italian_gurl_LaVeta,

This is a complicated question to answer. When a three month old has an elevated total and direct bilirubin level, biliary atresia must be in the possible list of causes. CMV infection can also cause a hepatitis that can mimic a biliary atresia presentation. It is important to have a pediatric gastroenterologist (GI specialist) involved in figuring this out if at all possible. It sounds as if the proper tests are being done but even the interpretation of these tests can sometimes be confusing. It is definitely possible that a liver biopsy may be necessary to help sort things out. I hope you are able to find a definite answer soon.

|