Question: Is there a test for H1N1 immunity?

my3munchkins - Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:44 am

All three of my children had flu-like symptoms in June of '09. Since it was not "flu season", I was told that it was safe to assume that it was Swine Flu. My 5 year old has asthma and had a reaction to the 2 flu shots he received in the past. His pediatrician wrote a note to the school nurse explaining that he was exempt from the mandatory flu vaccine. Recently, we were notified by our public school that many children were experiencing flu-like symptoms and to take extra precautions with our children. Since my son has asthma, he cannot get the nasal mist and he cannot have the flu vaccine for reasons stated above. Is there a blood test to see if what my kids had in June, was in fact the Swine Flu? It would determine which route I should explore, as far as sending my kids to school. If they did have it, I can rest assured that thye have immunity and that they are safe from being infected. It also helps determine whether or not to vaccinate my older kids with the H1N1 vaccine. PLEASE HELP. I would be willing to pay out-of-pocket for the labwork since it probably isn't covered by insurance. I just need to know if such a test exists. Thank you in advance.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:33 pm

You should be able to get a titer because that is how they determine in the testing process if a vaccine is effective in stimulating immunity. I can't say who runs the test so you would have to ask your doctor. Most schools will grant a waiver to parents who have some cause for concern in getting vaccines, even if it requires a note from the doctor.

|