News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 8 m/o gets phlegm and tries to catch breath

bkyirene - Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi- My 8 month old daughter has always gotten phlegm when she drinks anything and everything. At this point, she drinks soy formula, apple juice, water and pedialyte. We have tried to have her drink sitting up and that didn't make any difference. She starts drinking, starts sounding congested, gets phlegmy and then has to drop what she is drinking and tries to catch her breath. I feel so helpless! Our pediatrician has said that perhaps she isn't digesting it properly. How is that? I just don't know what to do for her. She is starting to get frustrated so she refuses her bottle and/or sippy cup!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:51 pm

User avatar Hello,
You may need to try a different formula. She could be sensitive to both cow's milk and soy. Since breast milk is the ideal infant food, all others have risks of intolerance. One possibility would be Enfamil's Pregestamil which is effective for many children with metabolic and digestive problems.

I would also add humidity to the room to help her with thick secretions. If these measures don't help she may need additional testing for metabolic disorders.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here