Question: hydronephrosis

dwtsmom - Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:47 pm

my 2 year old son well all most 3 has hydronephrosis and we have done the renal US and IVP and all that we have surgery on them we did the left on at 5 months and the right one at 8 months now we was told that the right one was doing good growing and function well but we was told that the left one isnt doing anything we go back every year to have it checked but still nothing on the left side i was just wondering if any one else had had this to happen and is it a disablite or what is there anything else i can do as a mom i am afarid to let him run and play ruff like most boys cause he only has the one kidney work and i don't want nothing to happen to the other one i want let him play ball or anything like that am i being to over protective ???
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:41 pm

Dear dwtsmom,
Why did your child develop hydronephrosis in the first place, and what type of surgery was done?
Depending on the answer to these two questions, you are usually instructed on how to take care of your child.
What would be most serious is for your child to develop kidney failure, and for this you should keep your eyes wide open. Warning signs include: change in energy level or strength, puffiness or swelling in the legs, around the eyes or in other parts of the body,
shortness of breath, nausea or vomiting, light-headedness, severe bone or joint pain and easy bruisability.
If there are no signs of that,and if your child has normal kidney function tests, then he can lead a normal life. :)
 dwtsmom - Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:07 pm

he was delevied 5 1/2 weeks early and that was when they found the hydronephrosis he had to go see a surgeron at 3 weeks old and he had UPJ objections they where found at 2 days old the right one measured 56mm and the left one at 68mm his surgeron done the left kidney first cause it was the worst and still is it hasnt improve at all not growth or anything his surgeronsaid that is wasnt even functioning but we done the right on8 months just 3 months from the first one and it is doing great but i am afaird to let him do a lot even thought looking at him he looks health and fine and he is all boy he likes to play ruff and that is where i get scared and now they are telling me that he is overwight and that will mess with his only kidney he will b 3 saturday the 12 and he is 38 inches tall and his weight is 41 pounds what to do i am a very confused mother right now a lot of people told me to apply for his disable i did but he was turned down so what do i need to do now all info would be great thank u all a very confused and worried mom
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:28 am

Hello dwtsmom,
Your main concern should be with the possibility of your child developing urinary tract infection, as this may injure the kidney, and if repeated, may eventually lead to kidney failure. I'm sure he's been prescribed long-term antibiotics.
Otherwise, he can lead a totally normal life.
 dwtsmom - Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:06 pm

thank you doctor but he has been on a lot of infection meds but now that he has had a T&A he has not been on antiobotics since then does he need to be on antiobotics im new to his i have learn a lot over the 2 almost 3 years thank you for your input thanks a lot kristie
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:39 am

Dear Kristie,
What I meant to say from the start is that your doctors probably know what they're doing, and that you needn't worry as much. Just follow what they tell you. I'm not aware of the whole situation here, and can only guide you, or try to make things clearer, whenever possible.
The common problems we fear in your situation is kidney failure, the symptoms of which you should be aware of, and urinary tract infection. If the antibiotics were stopped, then your son probably wont need them. He can otherwise lead a totally normal life.
If you have any further questions or anything I ve said isn't clear enough, please don't hesitate to ask :)

|