News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Eye Pupil Not Centered?

isababycookie - Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:17 pm

I have an 18 month old baby with dark brown eyes and yesterday as the sunlight was hitting her face, I noticed for the first time what appeared as if she had absolutely no pupil in her right eye. I pulled back her eyelid and noticed that the pupil in her right eye was not centered at all but was located in the upper left portion of her iris. She sometimes bumps into walls as she walks and I always thought maybe she was still learning to balance herself as she learns to walk. I'm curious to know what this eye condition is called and why her pupil is not centered. The doctor's never pointed it out before and I'm wondering if something like this could affect her vision.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:07 am

User avatar Hi,
Corectopia may also be defined as "eccentric location of the pupil so that it is not in the center of the iris".

It may be
- congenital or
- aquired: due to trauma or scarring of the iris (accidental or surgical) or, ocular causes such as high myopia, ectopia lentis, coloboma iridis , Axenfeld-Reiger anomaly, persistent pupillary membrane, and hyperplastic pupillary membrane).

It may be
- unilateral or
- bilateral.

When corectopia is present from birth (i.e. "congenital"), the displacement of the pupil is usually towards the nose(medial).

Bilateral congenital corectopia is a sign that merits chromosomal analysis and neuro-developmental assessment.

Lipoid proteinosis (Urbach-Wiethe disease) is a rare autosomal recessive disorder.There have been reports about association of bilateral corectopia with this condition.

Idiopathic tractional corectopia: is an isolated unilateral congenital pupil abnormality. Shown to responded well to simple lysis of the fibrous strand that is typically seen in this condition.

Management depends upon the cause.It can be medical,surgical or both.
As your child has an allegedly unilateral pupillary abnormality,i suggest that you should consult an ophthalmologist, who in all probability will first exclude the possibility of this being a bilateral corectopia and of course assess the overall condition of the eyes.Only an ophthalmologist will be best placed to advise you regarding the further management of your child.
Best wishes!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:08 am

User avatar Hi,
Corectopia may also be defined as "eccentric location of the pupil so that it is not in the center of the iris".

It may be
- congenital or
- aquired: due to trauma or scarring of the iris (accidental or surgical) or, ocular causes such as high myopia, ectopia lentis, coloboma iridis , Axenfeld-Reiger anomaly, persistent pupillary membrane, and hyperplastic pupillary membrane).

It may be
- unilateral or
- bilateral.

When corectopia is present from birth (i.e. "congenital"), the displacement of the pupil is usually towards the nose(medial).

Bilateral congenital corectopia is a sign that merits chromosomal analysis and neuro-developmental assessment.

Lipoid proteinosis (Urbach-Wiethe disease) is a rare autosomal recessive disorder.There have been reports about association of bilateral corectopia with this condition.

Idiopathic tractional corectopia: is an isolated unilateral congenital pupil abnormality. Shown to responded well to simple lysis of the fibrous strand that is typically seen in this condition.

Management depends upon the cause.It can be medical,surgical or both.
As your child has an allegedly unilateral pupillary abnormality,i suggest that you should consult an ophthalmologist, who in all probability will first exclude the possibility of this being a bilateral corectopia and of course assess the overall condition of the eyes.Only an ophthalmologist will be best placed to advise you regarding the further management of your child.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here