News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 12 month old tightens muscles when angry

elocini419 - Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:50 am

My one year old son has recently started tightening up his face, hands, and arms when he gets angry or excited. He then makes some kind of grunting or groaning sound and stops breathing momentarily. At first I didn't think much of it but now it is happening quite often. Sometimes he'll do it and it seems as though he can't stop, then once he stops he fusses or whines a little. I can't quite determine if he is doing it voluntarily or involuntarily. I'm just wondering if this is normal development or if he might have some kind of physiological problem? I'm also wondering if I should ignore the behavior or embrace it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:00 pm

User avatar Hello,
This sounds like a normal and fairly common response in many toddlers. Discuss it with your child's doctor at the next visit to be sure all bases are covered but I doubt it is anything to worry about. Breath-holding is especially common in this age group. The good thing is that nature takes care of it and the child resumes breathing without adverse event - except that of scaring the parents.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here