Question: Subcutaneous purple pimple on 15 month old in front of ear

Tomba - Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:21 pm

My 15 month old daughter has a larfe pea shaped purple pimple right in front of her right ear. I took her to a Pediatrician 3 months ago and she told me it was a possible glandular infection or a clogged canal that would go away in 2-3 weeks. It has been 3 months now, and after taking her for a second opinion to another Pediatrician they didn't seem to know over there either (conferring with two other Pediatricians) My ENT Doctor said we should have a MRI to diagnose the possible problem, but I am worried about the sedation treatment with anesthesia and feel that maybe we over doing it. Why does no one seem to know what a subcutaneous legion or pimple is in front of the ear?
Thanks.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:29 am

User avatar Hello,A pyogenic granuloma would resemble your description of a solitary purple pimple.They are also known as lobular capillary hemangioma.They are more red than purple and sometimes bleed.Cause is not known.Oral erythromcin is said to be effective,but surgery is an option too.It is benign.With out the purple color one would think of pre auricular tags,pits,or cysts which can be mistaken with branchial cleft cysts.An MRI is possibly done to rule out any connecting sinus to the near by structures and to confirm the diagnosis.Best wishes.

|