Question: 9 Year old with severe constant back pain

mom0702 - Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:24 pm

My daughter who is nine years old is having severe pain in her back. She has what appears to be muscle spasms 10-20 times per day, but has not had any recent injury or trauma. Also her back is tender to the touch at all times and does not ease up with any medication. After the spasm she falls limp. The pain is causing her legs to go numb and tingly and she cries from being in pain all the time. The doctor she is seeing put her on flexaril 5mg every 8 hours, but she is still having the "spasms". Her blood work came back normal and she had a head ct w/o contast that was normal. Is it possible that this could be something more than muscle spasms, and if so what is your opinion?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:36 pm

User avatar Hello mom0702,

Back pain in children is something that really should not be there without a good explanation (trauma, etc.). If your daughter is having numbness in her legs this is a potential sign of neurological involvement and may be a sign of a spinal cord problem or something compressing some of the spinal nerves such as a slipped disk. I would recommend continued evaluation of this problem, possibly including imaging of her lower back (such as an MRI).

It is important to know that younger children rarely complain of back pain as a "typical" ache or pain. When young children complain of back pain I take it very seriously. If you need a specialist, seeing a pediatric orthopedic surgeon would be the best next step. Follow up with her pediatrician is also advised.

|