News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 2 year old not saying words, but great hand eye coordnation

moridos - Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:59 am

My 2 year old boy is not saying words, he does "jabber" alot and will say some words after i say something. Like I say "shoes" he might sometimes say "soo" or "soos". He does play well, he can catch a normal size football if i toss it from a close distance, he can climb anything (barstools, chairs, latters, tables, beds). he makes motor sounds with his mouth when playing with trucks. and he will jabber while holding a phone up to his ear. He will even put up his fists and box with me when i say "put up your dukes". i was just wanting to know if him not talking was something major i had to worry about if everything else seems normal?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:31 pm

User avatar Hello Moridos,

Speech is a complex developmental milestone and there is significant variation in the rate of development. In general, we expect a 2 year old to be saying around 50-100 words and have about 50% of what is said be understandable to a stranger (parents understanding what is being said doesn't count).

If there are concerns, the first step is to have your son evaluated by his pediatrician who can assess the developmental status of his language development. At age two, if there are concerns, often the first step will be to have a hearing evaluation performed. If the child is not hearing clearly it is difficult for them to hear pronunciations properly and thus learn to speak clearly. If this is OK, we'll often just watch for a few more months. Many times, when there is a mild delay, within a few months the child takes off and catches up in their speech without difficulty.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here