Question: 16 month baby girl bones popping Shoulders, back , hips etc.

momofsixabbdnk - Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:00 am

I have a 16 month old daughter. Since day one her bones have been popping. A lot. Her shoulders, arms, fingers, back, hips everything. I swear that when I was pregnant with her that I could feel that popping sensation and you could even hear what sounded like a knuckle popping sometimes. When she is standing up and we go to pick her up her spine pops. Yesterday I was carrying her up the stairs on my hip and with the way she was sitting, every step I took up on the side she was on her hip popped. The PA told me a long time ago that she is fine. I just didn't think that her bones should be popping like this. I would greatly appreciate some advice on what I need to do.Thank You.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:28 am

Generalised joint laxity is quite normal in during the first 18 months of life following birth.
This laxity affects the axial and limb joints It is well known that maternal relaxing hormones which cross the placental barrier act on the ligaments of the fetal joints and allow moulding of the joint structures perinatally.

Maternal relaxing hormones such as 'Relaxin' is produced by corpus luteum in pregnancy and is found in decidua and placenta.It is believed to relax the ligaments of the maternal bony pelvis, soften the uterine cervix and relax smooth muscles (the central role of this hormone in parturition is not yet clear). It also relaxes the fetal joints.

Whether this perinatal laxity may increase the
susceptibility to dislocation of the hip is being investigated.

'Benign joint hypermobility syndrome' is thought to be an inherited (autosomal dominant pattern) connective tissue disorder.

Gereralized joint Hypermobility may occur in several connective tissue disorders some of which are,Ehlers–Danlos syndrome (EDS), Marfan syndrome, and osteogenesis imperfecta.These usually have charecteristic phenotypes.

Certain chromosomal and genetic disorders such as Down syndrome and metabolic disorders such as hyperlysinemia and homocystinuria may also feature generalized joint laxity .

Coffin-Siris syndrome is a disorder is characterized by the absence or hypoplasia of the nails, especially those of the fifth fingers and toes, growth retardation, microcephaly,mental deficiency, coarse facial features, sparse scalp hair and lax joints.

In the case of your child, who is 17 months old,the popping sounds could mean joint laxity and if the symptoms persist beyond 18 months, it would be advisable to consult your pediatrician.

|