News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: bumps on daughters areolas

splume - Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:42 pm

I know this sounds very strange, and I am a little uncomfortable talking about my daughter this way, but she just came home from a friends house with itchy red bumps all over both her areola areas. They almost looked like pimples, but there was like 6 on each side and she was extremely in discomfort. What could this be? I simply had her apply hydrocortizone cream to the area, and told her to let me know if it gets worse.
 Kathy C, RN - Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:33 pm

Hi splume, We normally have small raised areas like : bumps" around our niples. Perhaps your daughters got irritated from playing or may be from an insect. Its hard to tell without actually looking at them. Did she say she felt like anything bit her? Was she playing in the dirt? I would suggest letting her physician examine her just to make sure.
Hope this helps.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:26 am

User avatar Being that the bumps are the same bilaterally and hurt the same on both sides I would be willing to bet she's starting to develop? If this is the case than her Montgomery's Tubercles or Glands may be waking up. They keep the areola moist and soft and you'll see them change when you have hormone changes like the beginning of pregnancy, the beginning of puberty, whenever hormone surges take place. The other thought is if she is starting to develop and she isn't in a bra yet but her areola is starting to get sensitive maybe it was cold and became raw from rubbing or was wet from sweating during play. Gosh, the things us girls have to go through!! :roll: Definately time to start paying attention to them.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here