Question: My daughter

katlover - Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:53 am

My daughter is 16 and still hasn't started her period. is something wrong. she is about 5' 3'' and less than 100 pounds. she doesnt eat red meat, but is strong and does well in most physical activity, but is not hard core on anything. anything wrong? when will she start?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:56 am

Dear katlover,
Can you please tell me if she is otherwise showing any signs of puberty, as pubic and axillary hair, breast enlargement or even acne?
 katlover - Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:53 pm

yes she is...all of the above basically
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:23 am

Dear katlover,
I'd first like to reassure you that your daughter's condition is seen often, and the majority of cases are considered to be a 'constitutional delay' in the onset of menstruation.
However, it is always wise to exclude any underlying problem.
This is usually done by clinical examination and a few investigations, including hormonal levels, and imaging if necessary.
Again I don't want you to start worrying, but you should seek her pediatrician or a gynecologist if you prefer.
 katlover - Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:42 pm

thank you for your help! :D

|