Question: 9 month old not eating nearly enough

entropy - Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:05 am

Thank you for your help. My 9 month old son was born at 24 weeks gestation. He was gaining weight well until about 3 months ago. At that time he had a VP shunt placed. (Also that was when he switched to formula from breast milk) Since then he has fallen off the growth chart. Last month he gained only 2 ounces. The neurosurgeon does not think it is related to the shunt. He has had an upper GI which showed nothing. He has been on Reglan since birth and Prevacid for 2 months now.

It is a constant struggle to feed him. He is only 14lbs and eats a scant 15 - 18 ounces a day. His Dr. told us he needed a minimum of 20oz just to maintain and that we had to make him eat at least that. It makes me want to scream. If I force feed him he throws up. We are feeding him every 2 hours around the clock and are at our wits end. We are so worried about him.

His gastrointerologist had us switch his formula to a hypoallergenic last week, but he seems to despise that even more. He is bright eyed and vocal still but he is starting to sleep a lot more. I am worried that his lack of growth will have long term consequences.

I don't want to insist on a g-tube, but the pace at which this diagnosis is moving is frightening me.

What could be causing this? Allergy? Reflux? Behavioral issues? Neurological issues?

Please help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:49 pm

It certainly could be related to the formula. Breast milk is the ideal food for babies in their first year of life. Your child may benefit from a special "pre-digested enzyme" formula such as Enfamil's Pregestamil which may need to be specially ordered by your pharmacy. Talk to your child's pediatrician about this possibility. Your child may be sensitive to both cow's milk and soy proteins. If this change doesn't help he may need to have additional testing done for other metabolic disorders.

|