Question: Swollen Testicle

jrthames - Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:13 pm

Tonite I was giving my 15 month old son a bath and I noticed his left testicle was swollen a lot bigger than the other. Is this normal, some kind of fluid, or should I be concerned.

Thanks!!
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:42 pm

Dear jrthames,
Well it depends because it could be a number of things.
It could be a collection of fluid which has leaked from the abdomen, known as a 'hydrocele', and results from a congenital defect allowing this leakage. If persistent beyond the first year of life, it usually needs surgical correction.
It could also be a 'hernia', and in that case, you would notice that it is not constantly there, and becomes more apparent with crying or coughing. That is if it is not 'strangulated' or 'obstructed', in which case, it would be hard, red and tender.
The swelling could also be the result of a torsion of the testicle, and again that would appear tender and red and the pain would be unbearable.
I assume from your description and the way you accidentaly noticed it, it would be either a hydrocele or a 'reducable' hernia.
In any case, you must consult with a pediatric surgeon to have a good look at it.

|