Question: 2 yr old- fever for week, now a rash

Katie_Bug8585 - Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:11 am

My two year old has allergies and gets rashes often, so I'm not terribly worried about it. However, I'm concerned that it was roseola, because of the sequence of events: fever for about a week, then a rash that lasted a couple days.

Normally if he's exposed to something he's allergic to he'll get a rash for about 30 minutes, an hour at the most.

The normal allergy rash is bumps that are flesh colored.

This rash was flat and red, so I'm pretty sure it was related to the fever.

My main question is that since the rash went away while he slept last night, if it was roseola or a virus of some sorts, should we still be concerned about him being contagious??? We take him to a little kids play gym on Saturday mornings, we don't want to expose other kids to it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 pm

In most cases the most contagious time is just before the rash so most parents are not aware until it's too late. By the time the rash comes and goes, you're pretty safe to take the child wherever you need to go. Viral rashes are part of childhood and by the time we are adults most of us have been exposed to the usual varieties and now have immunity.

|