Question: lead poisoning and continuing vaccinations

jrotc_neal - Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:13 pm

I've got a one year old girl with lead poisoning. I want to delay her future vaccinations until we can clear her system of lead (it just seems like way to much of an overload on her body right now). Other than my personal opinion, are there any professional opinions or studies that support minimizing/delyaing vaccinations (or other activities, food, etc.) until her lead poisoning is under control (or at least down to a more normal level)?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:18 pm

I am not aware of any risk associated with giving vaccines while recovering from lead poisoning. If you are worried about further exposure from mercury in thimerisol for preservation of vaccine, you should know that very few vaccines now contain this so that would not be a concern. Some people do choose to use an alternative schedule to get their children fully immunized. In this schedule, vaccines may be slightly delayed and are given alternately so instead of 6 vaccines in one visit, it might be broken up to be 3 vaccines with a return for the other 3 in one month rather than two. The same number of vaccines are given but they aren't given all at once.

You can also pick and choose which vaccines to give and you can discuss the pros and cons with your doctor. Some can more safely be delayed than others which may put your child (and others) at risk for serious vaccine preventable diseases. Some people choose to delay hepatitis vaccines and in a low risk population this is acceptable, assuming you don't forget to do it later.

Of course you have parental privilege but you should only omit vaccines after fully understanding the risks and benefits of the decision.

Some things that make sense: Make sure your child gets adequate amounts of bioavailable calcium and iron and eats at least two servings daily of foods high in vitamin C, such as fruits, vegetables, and juices, especially while in treatment. Follow your doctor's orders exactly.

|