Question: 5 year old with high fever going on 5 days

zerocool - Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:41 pm

5 year old day 5 of fever keeps going up to 103.8 and once to 104. When we give him motrin it drops to about 100 - 101 only once has it gone down to 99.8 complains of throat being soar and stomach hurting and hardly eating at all for 5 days now. Took him to a nurse prac and they did a strep test came back neg so they said just a bug come back if it last more than a week but did not take his temp. Not sure if I should get a second EP? Thanks for any help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Viral infections can do this to children and their own body needs to fight them off. In the process they develop antibodies to illness so I agree with the advice. If longer than a week, return to the clinic.