Question: Mono and kids

Nicole302 - Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:07 pm

The father of my kids recently told me that his his girlfriend's oldest daughter has some thing wrong with her. He said if she gets the mono virus she could die. She is only 7. I was just wondering what could be the cause of this and if my kids should be around her. My son use to kiss her but he stopped. So I was just wondering if I should be concerned.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Of course I don't know what the condition is, unless it is some type of immune deficiency. At any rate, if your children are healthy they would not be a risk to her. If your children developed mono they would be ill. It is always wise to encourage good handwashing to prevent the spread of disease so it wouldn't hurt to increase the vigilance on this when around her but otherwise I can see no concern. You would need more information on her condition and what the doctors have suggested in the way of restriction to be certain.

|