Question: 14 Year old Weight Gain

applemoose - Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi I'm 14 years old. I started last school year with barely any fat on my body, now my clothes are tight in my stomach area, some of my jeans no longer fit and my stomach has a paunch. Can anyone tell me what to do. I can email a picture of myself before and after if needed.
 applemoose - Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Please help?!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:56 pm

To some degree hormones are involved. As you reach puberty your body does put on some extra fat layers as part of the protection that might be needed in pregnancy. It is intended from ancestral times to protect a growing baby even in times of famine. That is, if the mother has some extra layers of fat, she will be able to sustain her pregnancy even when food is scarce.

These days we don't usually need this but still it's there. Your body will round out a bit as you mature, but it is important not to store more fat than is needed and you should be physically active every day along with eating healthy foods without added fat and sugar.

You should discuss your concerns with your family doctor or pediatrician who can determine whether or not this is excessive or if you need to worry. The doctor can also determine if any lab tests for thyroid disorder might be needed. You may benefit from a dietician consult as well. You are wise to be alert to this as we are in an epidemic of obesity at present. It can be difficult to know what is normal growth/maturity and what is just plain fat.

Finding healthy physical activities will definitely help.

|