Question: Relation between bone age and height?

sarvarox - Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:54 am

Hi I am a male 18 years old. I just got my bone age test done of the wrists and it was determined that my bone age was 18 but that the bones were not yet fused. Does this mean that I am still going to grow or is 18 too high an age for any more growth to be possible? How much correlation is there between unfused bones and height growth at the bone age of 18? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 pm

It is much less common in girls, but boys often continue to grow in stature even through the early twenties. Most commonly the growth is completed by around age 16, but I am aware of many boys who continued to grow several inches and achieved their full height in their twenties.

Typically your height will reflect your family genes, though good nutrition can encourage growth to the degree that the children pass both their parents in stature. So, examining your family tree will help you determine your likely adult height. The fact that your bones have not yet fused may very well indicate continued growth for you.

sarvarox - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:46 am

Thank you for your response! So just to reconfirm, unfused bones DOES give me a good chance of growth? And is it also possible that bones can fuse WITHOUT height growth taking place?
 sarvarox - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:48 am

Is it also possible that bones can fuse WITHOUT height growth taking place?

|