News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Relation between bone age and height?

sarvarox - Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:54 am

Hi I am a male 18 years old. I just got my bone age test done of the wrists and it was determined that my bone age was 18 but that the bones were not yet fused. Does this mean that I am still going to grow or is 18 too high an age for any more growth to be possible? How much correlation is there between unfused bones and height growth at the bone age of 18? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is much less common in girls, but boys often continue to grow in stature even through the early twenties. Most commonly the growth is completed by around age 16, but I am aware of many boys who continued to grow several inches and achieved their full height in their twenties.

Typically your height will reflect your family genes, though good nutrition can encourage growth to the degree that the children pass both their parents in stature. So, examining your family tree will help you determine your likely adult height. The fact that your bones have not yet fused may very well indicate continued growth for you.

Best wishes.
 sarvarox - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:46 am

Thank you for your response! So just to reconfirm, unfused bones DOES give me a good chance of growth? And is it also possible that bones can fuse WITHOUT height growth taking place?
 sarvarox - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:48 am

Is it also possible that bones can fuse WITHOUT height growth taking place?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here