Question: effects of dog urine odor on 19month old?

amandame - Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:17 pm

My daughter is 19 months old and I am due with my second in Aug 2010, we have one family dog that we have had for 5 years who has a house soiling problem that we can not break him of. We have tried everything, the vets have told us we are just stuck with the problem. However, my daughter has developed a cough and doctors can not determine the source and in the past weeks the smell has become very obvious in our home. Our dog stays in the basement of the home and yet he pees on the walls and now we think it is in the insullation etc. We are tearing down the walls and fixing everything in the next few weeks, but is there anything we should be aware of as to the risks to our daughter's health?

Thank you.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:57 am

User avatar Hello,While it would not be nice to put the blame on the dog's urine and connect it to your child's cough yet one should be aware that indeed there are allergens in the domestic animals including the urine.The dog allergens are can f 1 and can f 2. of course more common on the hair but also could be found in secretions including urine in low concentrations.These belong to Lipocalin group and a source of allergy to some who are predisposed.
But then there are more allergens in the house dust than the poor dog's urine!
Cheers.

|