News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: my daughter is an 11 year old

mornenstar - Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:14 pm

virgin who is disabled and is in a wheelchair. This morning i noticed lil red spots on her vaginal area which some of them seem to have healed and are dry and peeling while others are just lil red spots. she says it doesnt itch but it is irritated. do you have any ideas as to what it could be? Could it be that she sits so much and her legs always scissor over from her condition that she may not be gettin enough air in that area?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:47 pm

Dear mornenstar,
Your daughter probably has vaginitis.
If infection is suspected, by the presence of any foul smelling, abnormallly coloured vaginal discharge, and fever, well, a vaginal culture is needed, in order to prescribe her an appropraite antibiotic.
Nevertheless, most cases do not have a specific cause and treatment is then focused on improved hygiene, hand washing, and sitz baths. She should sit in warm water for 10-15 minutes once or twice a day. Bland soap can be used; however, the vulva should not be scrubbed. Afterwards, gently pat dry the vulvar region or allow it to air-dry. Clothes should be washed in a mild detergent with no rinse or dryer additives.
Small amounts of ointment such as Vaseline can be used to protect the vulvar skin, if affected.
 mornenstar - Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:54 pm

i took her to the dr and they said she has psoriasis.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:57 pm

Dear mornenstar,
I'm afraid that could only have been diagnosed by direct examination of the lesions, not on-line.
For more information and support on this matter, I suggest you visit this website: psoriasis.org/home/" class="postlink">http://www.psoriasis.org/home/

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here