News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: molloscum contagiosum

jacky - Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:24 pm

I have a three year old son with the molloscum virus. Today, the director of the daycare who has just become aware that he has this virus, told me that he will be required to wear long sleeve shirts and pants so that other children will not risk coming into contact with the warts. We live in Louisiana and its about to be very hot. Do you feel this is necessary? Also, the daycare has a pool, which the children get to swim in often during the hot months. Should he be exempt from the pool? Do you know where I could get documentation stating the standard of practice in a daycare is not to cover lesions or ban child from swimming pool? Please respond as soon as possible as this is very upsetting for me as a mother.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:23 am

User avatar Hello Jacky,

Molloscum contagiosum is a very common childhood viral infection that causes small, harmless growths on the skin. It is contagious and can be spread by touching the growths. There are some things you can do to prevent further spread on your son or to others. Make sure he does not pick or scratch the Molloscum, as this can release the virus and cause spread on the body. He should also wash his hands frequently, particularly if he is picking at the bumps. Your son should not share towels or clothing with other children and it can be spread through swimming. This virus will eventually go away by itself but it could take months or years. Have you thought about having them removed by a doctor? You could also get over-the-counter wart remover and put it on at night, this may get rid of them quickly. Instead of covering practically his whole body, can you just put band aids over the MCV’s? A Dermatologist may have a prescription medication he can recommend for the little guy and you may also be able to get literature on the virus to support allowing him to swim.
 jacky - Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:58 pm

Thanks for responding to my question!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here