Question: My son

Doe - Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:45 am

Can anyone please advise me, I'm a desperate mum with a 25 year old son in hospital. He's never been ill before. 2 weeks ago he experienced severe abdominal pain and went to A&E. They gave him tests and sent him home saying could be trapped wind and would clear up. Next day it was worse and had travelled to his back. His GP sent him back to the hospital, they gave him various tests and told him to take Gaviscon and sent him home.

That evening he collapsed with pain and I took him to my local hospital. He was put on morphine and started a series of tests. That was two weeks ago. Since then he has developed numbness all over the body, pins & needles from feet to his face, itching and severe nausea. (The nausea seems to be subsiding). He is unable to eat and cannot sit up or walk without fainting. He has severe weakness in his body. He is unable to pass urine and now has a catheter. He seems to want to sleep most of the time when the pain allows.

The Consultants are absolutely baffled, he has had most tests except for Neurology - which he is currently awaiting. Can anyone offer any sort of advice, specialist contacts, anything.
 Doe - Wed May 04, 2005 11:12 am

At long last after a lumbar puncture we now have a diagnosis - it's Guillain-Barre Syndrome. He was treated dreadfully prior to diagnosis and was told he would be referred to a pyschologist if the LP did not reveal anything. He was transferred to HDU for one week and is now recuperating in another hospital at a specialist neurology unit. It's a dreadful medical condition but they say he will make a full recovery but will take about a year.

|