Question: 3 yr 10 mo Swollen Knee

Val91 - Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:45 am

My son's right knee became swollen (size of small baseball) 2 weeks ago and started limping. He never complained of pain, he just limped around on it. On Monday we took him to the doctor to get it checked out. The doctor checked his mobility in his knee to check his ligaments and tendons and they all moved fine. There were no prior falls, temperature, bites or rashes that I could recall prior to this. We decided that we would give him motrin for 48 hours and ice/heat during that time and go back regardless on Wednesday. They followed up on Tuesday and there was no change in his leg. Tuesday night he did complain his leg and back hurt (maybe overcompensating for limping). Wednesday we returned and took blood to test for ESR, CBC, ANA and arthritis and wrote a prescription for knee xray. I mentioned to the doctor if we should check his hip too, just incase? Today we will go get an xray to find out more.

Is there anything else we should check for or get other tests done? What if nothing comes back from the xray, should we get an MRI? Please advise.

Thank you for your time.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:13 pm

It sounds like your doctor is covering all the bases so I would follow his advice. Sometimes such things happen with no apparent cause and the inflammation resolves on its own. Checking out the usual causes is wise but if nothing is found, you may just need to do watchful waiting. You can always follow up later if it continues to give him pain but you sometimes need to let the body take care of itself once you rule out any more immediate concerns.

|