News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 5 year old swollen penis

cheryl030406 - Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:32 pm

My 5 year old has a swollen penis, the entire shaft of the penis is swollen and the scrotom. I brought him to the pedi today and they said it is just an allergic reaction, I don't know what to do, they told me to do cold compresses and give him tyenol for the pain. The swelling is not going down what should I do??? What do you think it can be???

Thank you

Cheryl
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:03 pm

User avatar Hi,
You have not mentioned certain details in the history provided such as,
- the duration of the symptoms,
- whether your son is complaining of severe pain,
- if there is any redness of the scrotum,or
- has he any fever?.

I can well understand your anxiety and concern. If your son has acute pain or redness of the scrotum, then one will call it as an "acute scrotum"- a surgical emergency.
Several causes need to be considered including,
- torsion of the testis,
- torsion of the apppendix of the testis(Appendix testis),
- a strangulated inguinal hernia,
- an acute orchitis,and
- an acute epididymitis or epididymo-orchitis.

In the absence of the aforesaid picture(i assume it is so), other conditions which need to be considered are,
- Acute idiopathic scrotal edema and
- insect bites.

Acute idiopathic scrotal edema (AISE), a self-limiting acute scrotal edema and erythema that resolves without sequelae.The cause is not known. It appears likely that it is a localized allergic phenomenon, perhaps a local form of angioneurotic edema.May be sometimes associated with periurethral infection or acute anal fissures.

Insect bites are also capable of causing this type of a presentation.

In your child (going by the history and assuming that an acute scrotum had been excluded), an insect bite or AISE appear most likely.An ultrasound and color doppler evaluation of the scrotum usually can sort this out fairly reliably.
He should be expected to get well quite soon.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here