News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Frequent Nosebleeds in children

kota - Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 am

Hi i am very worried about my 3 year old son he has frequent nosebleeds and has done done for a couple of years now, i understand that children do sometimes suffer from nose bleeds but they are becoming more frequent i have taken him to the doctors on a couple of occasions but they are putting it down to him putting his finger up his nose.
Which he has now learnt not to as he fears that he will get a nose bleed but the nose bleeds are occurring at any time sometimes when he is asleep and there is a lot of blood and sometimes when he is just sat doing nothing and after he has the nose bleeds he seems to be very hypoactive i know that these are related as i have monitored them, i am just not sure what to do as i have taken him to the doctors and the hospital and they put it down to the blood vessels in the nose, i would just like a second opinion, if possible please.
Many thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 pm

User avatar Hello,
We don't know exactly why some people are more prone to nosebleeds than others. In some cases relief is obtained by adding extra humidity to the room, especially when sleeping so if you have not tried this you might want to. Perhaps a saline nose spray could also be used and a lubricating ointment for the inside of the nose (apply gently with a cotton swab). Also, some people benefit from additional salt in the diet. Along with preventing physical trauma (as with fingers and foreign objects), these are some easy home remedies to try.

Nosebleeds are rarely a cause of serious problems so try not to worry about it but teach your child how to deal with it when it happens. This includes pinching the soft part of the nose and then pushing this tissue towards the face to apply pressure. Have him lean forward so the blood does not run down his throat and continue for five full minutes. He should sit quietly, not lie down, and ice may help.
He should avoid bending over, straining or eating hot foods. You can try a nasal decongestant to constrict the blood vessels but this should be only an occasional, temporary measure.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here