News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: babies scalp

roxy89 - Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Hello.
my son resently turned 1 years old and got his first hair cut.
i noticed that he has ,what looks like cradle cap on his scalp.
there is yellow-ish dry patches on his scalp. when i rub them they flack away.
could this be anything other than cradle cap?and what can i do to rid him of this?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:30 am

User avatar Hello,
The clinical picture of your child is of Seborrheic dermatatitis. This occurs commonly on scalp in infants and children. There is scaling which could be dry or moist . Yellowish patches of scaling are common.
The cause is said to be an yeast like organism P.ovale.
In children, most cases of are self limiting. The mild types of seborrheic dermatitis are treated with mild shampoo on alternate days.Severe types may need steroid creme applications. In some children this may be associated wih an allergic dermatitis called Atopic dermatitis.Most cases of seborrhea are self limiting.Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here