Question: Choking Infant (Gagging)

tiredmama - Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:19 am

My 8 week old has always 'gagged' quite frequently, but two days ago we had to call 911 because she was turning blue and we couldn't get her to take a breath. By the time they got here, she had vomited and cleared her airways. The EMT told me I was just being a new mother and overreacting. I have a 2 year old and was with my mother and sister...and my baby had been BLUE. A Family friend said it is a hiatal hernia but for her ped to diagnosis would be a series of painful tests. I've researched and that looks like a possibility, but would like to know what symptoms to look for before taking her in as they can't get her in for a week? Is this something that is likely to get worse? Is there a more accurate diagnosis?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Sometimes babies have trouble getting rid of secretions because they are a little bit thick. Have you tried adding some humidity to the room, especially if you are in a dry climate. This can help thin and loosen the mucus. The fact that the baby was OK after the scare is encouraging that it is probably not a serious problem or defect. It would be impossible to diagnose a hiatal hernia or any other condition without seeing the baby.

Many babies have reflux and the acid that backs up into the esophagus can cause severe pain and this may be the reason for the episode. Your doctor will probably evaluate the baby for this. Sometimes oral medication helps if this is what they determine to be the cause. In most cases the baby outgrows the condition by six months to a year so this is painful, but usually not long-term.

|