News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   
 

 Headlines:

 
 

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Is my toddler allergic to tomatoes?


 clearskies88 - Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:33 pm

My 20 month old son was eating pasta with red sauce around 10 months & loves it. We've never had a problem, & so it never crossed my mind that he might have an allergy. Right after he turned a year old, I gave him a cherry tomato from my salad at a restaurant. The juice never touched his skin, but within 10 minutes he had a rash around his mouth, down his neck, & all over his chest. It cleared up about an hour & a half later, with no complications. We have avoided tomatoes since, but he still eats pasta with tomato sauce.
I would think that maybe he was allergic to fresh tomatoes & that processed tomatoes were safe. But he also got a rash the first (and only) time he ate ketchup. So is he allergic to some processed too? I don't get it, & I'm scared to offer him anything new.
I'm trying to register him for a play date program, & they need to know his food allergies, but I have no idea what to write. Should I take him to an allergy specialist? Is this something he could possibly outgrow?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:58 am

User avatar Hello,Tomato allergy is the commonest to cause OAS ie Oral Allergy Syndrome and is caused by raw tomatoes.The allergen is known to cross react with grass allergy and the common antigen here is profillin which is also a respiratory allergen.OAS is common with raw food rather than cooked or processed foods,since the antigen gets denatured.On contact with tha allergen, oral itching, burning and tingling extending down to throat occurs in a matter of few seconds.This stops in a few minutes and nothing more serious occurs. It can lead to other severe symptoms in about 2% of persons.
Avoidance of the allergen is the best course of treatment .RAST test ie Radioallergosorbent test may be useful to get a proper diagnosis.
Bestwishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

 

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)
 

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

 
     

 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

 

 

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

 
Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here