News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 6 YR OLD CHILD WITH HIGH PLT

HPACHECO1975 - Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 am

MY SON HAD BLOODWORK DONE BECAUSE OF 2 UMPS ON HIS NECK AREA. I'VE SEEN DIFFERENT DOCTORS THAT EXPLAINED THE SAME THING "NOTHIN TO WORRY ABOUT.THEY ARE ONLY LYMPHNODES" HE HAS HAD THEM FOR COUPLE OF YEARS NOW. I ASKED HIS ENT DR TO JUST DO SOME KIND OF TEST JUST TO CONFIRM SO THAT I CAN BE LESS WORRIED ABOUT HIM. WELL THEY ORDERED BLOOD TEST AND HIS PLT CAME BACK 561. NOW I'M WORRIED. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? HIS WBC WAS 13.4. PLEASE HELP
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:14 am

User avatar Hello,High platelet count(More than 400, 10 to the power of 9/L) is of two types.Commonest in the pediatric age group is secondary thrombocytosis which occurs generally during a bacterial infection.Primary types are rarer and associated with myelofibrosis. The familial types which can be identified by testing the family members for thrombocytosis.
Since your child has got leucocytosis this could represent a reaction to something like an upper respiratory infection.History of muco cutaneous bleeding and bruising may be the findings with the primary types.Splenomegaly is common here.Throbbing and burning of feet have been reported too in the primary types.
Iron deficiency anemia can present with thrombocytosis.
Serum TPO(Thrombopoetin) levels may be of help to differentiate the types.This is usually elevated in reactive types.
With my good wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here