News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 4 year old complains of stomach pain frequently

jmattrascals - Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:52 am

My 4&1/2 year old son has been complaining of stomach pain for the past month or so. I don't see a pattern as to when he gets the pain or what triggers it. He complains of the pain 2 to 4 times daily. He is a good, healthy eater and has always had a normal, consistent bowel routine, usually having a bowel movement twice daily. Lately, I've noticed he's been having more bowel movements daily, 3 to 4 daily, the other day he had 5. At first, I thought perhaps he was complaining of hunger pain, but yesterday in the middle of dinner, he started having the pain and couldn't eat anymore. I am going to take him to the pediatrician on Monday, however thought I may find some answers here. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:42 pm

User avatar Hello,
Since abdominal pain can be caused by a number of conditions, seeing the doctor, as you plan, is your best course of action. A child this young has a hard time telling you exactly what he is experiencing. Some possible causes could include gastroenteritis, constipation (which your child is apparently not having), lactose intolerance or other food sensitivity (even with foods heretofore tolerated), appendicitis, etc.

If he should become more seriously ill with worsening pain, fever, diarrhea, etc. you should take him to a doctor or hospital.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here