News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: IBS Pain..cant give daughter pain medication??

HFBRL07 - Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:01 pm

My daughter is 17 and seeing a pediatric gastro doctor. We have been everywhere and after several negative tests an adult doctor could not figure out what was going on..So he sent us to a pedi GI, she did a colonoscopy on my daughter to rule everything out. We now have a diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, My daughter has had flare ups in the past year where she is doubled over in pain and can barely get up, she curls in a ball and basically screams and crys. This is happening as I am writing this, she ended up in the ER the other day but her doctor did not want to give her pain medicine or anything because it interferes with IBS. So the following day when this did not get any better I called crying myself for help, the doctor wanted to speak with my daughter on the phone but she refused because of the pain. I need some tips for dealing with this, what can I do or say to make my daughter feel like Im there? Im so confused and it hurts me just as much to see her in pain knowing I cant help.
PLEASE HELP!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 pm

User avatar Hello,
I know how difficult it is to watch your child suffer. If your daughter has constipation with her IBS then narcotics would just add to the problem, besides affecting her neurologically.

If she has diarrhea symptoms with her condition, she might benefit from loperamide (Imodium). Other medications may include anticholinergics for cramping, antidepressants (like amitriptyline), or antianxiety agents such as paroxetine (Paxil).

Sometimes psychological therapy or stress management may help with stress that may precipitate her IBS episodes. Other alternative therapy might include dietary changes, if she notices any pattern with her foods. A diary or journal can help to determine such triggers. Regular exercise almost always helps and she should avoid adding any substances such as tobacco or alcohol that could make things worse.

Best wishes for both of you,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here