News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 10 year old with frequent periods?

jenj2001 - Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:43 pm

My 10 year got what we believe is her first period about 6 weeks ago. She has now had two episodes of short bleeding (1-2 hours) with enough blood to go though underwear and pants. These episodes were about two weeks part now she has had bleeding for about one day so far. She has breasts and some pubic hair but no underarm or course leg hair. I don't want to put her though a invasive doctor visit if this is normal. Does this sound normal?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 am

User avatar Hello,
When a girl first starts having periods it is very common for these to be highly irregular in nature - more or less frequent than monthly. I would not worry at this point and she should not need a pelvic exam. It's all part of hormonal changes that occur with the onset and continuation of puberty.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here