Question: 7 Month Old with Constipation

sugardoll2007 - Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:30 pm

My daughter is 7 months old and has been off of breast milk since 6 months. Within the last week she has gone from giving good diapers to giving no poopy diapers or a pellet or two in her diapers. She continuous to get worse and is starting to show some serious distress. At her six month appointment I asked her doctor what I should do if this was to happen and she said that it should only last a few days and then she will be fine. She said if I get over concerned I can feed her some rice with formula and prunes stage one mixed and she should show relief. My daughter hasn't shown any sign of relief at all. I don't know what to do. I have called her doctors office twice now to get some help on giving her some comfort and release, but they have yet to respond. I don't know what to do or how to help her!! Please someone help me help her!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:32 pm

It is certainly distressing to see your daughter's discomfort. Be assured that this is probably a temporary problem and the changes in diet will most likely improve the situation. Breast fed babies are rarely constipated and so it surprises mothers when they wean their babies from the breast that they encounter this problem. The system has a harder time digesting artificial formula so it is common for them to have this problem.

The infrequency of stool is not a concern and not an indication of constipation but the dry, "pellets" may be. Some babies benefit from the addition of about 4 ounces of juice per day. Giving fruits like peaches, prunes and vegetables like squash, carrots and sweet potatoes along with cereals like oatmeal, barley and mixed. The rice cereal sometimes contributes to constipation so I would try one of the others. In time, these changes will probably help but you may have to also try a different formula. The problem is that it takes a couple of weeks to really know how the change is affecting the baby. Sometimes a mild laxative or suppository is necessary but you should discuss this option with your child's doctor. Just remember that the goal is not a certain frequency of bowel movements; just a softer consistency that allows her to pass it easily. As she gets older, more fiber in her diet may be needed.

|