News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Perinatal Encephalopathy

twotonies - Mon May 02, 2005 2:21 pm

My husband and I are in the process of adopting a child from Russia. We have received a medical report which states "perinatal encephalopathy". She is a carrier of antibodies of Hepatitis C, and is being serologically monitored for congenital syphilis. What is the prognosis? I would greatly appreciate your reviewing the report, which I can fax to you.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri May 06, 2005 5:00 am

'Perinatal encephalopathy' indicates an insult during the perinatal period (pregnancy, labour, or immediately after delivery) resulting in compromised blood and/or oxygen supply to the baby's brain. This could have serious effects on a child's neurological development, but it may also result in minor effects which could pass unnoticed. Some children escape all side effects and grow normally.
As for hepatitis C infection, if proven, it could seriously affect the liver, although very slowly, and is also infectious, through contact with body secretions or blood.
If the child has congenital syphilis and the maternal status is unknown, the child will need to be treated as if infected, untill lab follow up proves whether she is infected or was just carrying her mother's antibodies.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here