Question: 14 year old abdominal pain/pressure

quest4answers - Fri May 06, 2005 2:50 pm

I am a 14 year old girl who about three weeks ago started experiencing moderate pain in my right side of my abdomin as well as pain on my left side of my abdomin, and I would also get severe pain across my whole lower abdomin. All are still occurant, but now I keep feeling pressure in the my rib area that can hurt pretty bad and has woken me up att night and put me close to tears. I have no idea what might be causing this, but it is not getting better. Last night I also noticed that my left ribs are protruding a fair amount more than my right ribs, and just the night before I was turning and I heard a wierd sound that sounded like me breathing but different. At first I thought it was infact just that, me breathing wierd, but in the morning I discovered that when I rotate my chest left to right and right to left I could still hear it and I was holding my breath. It does not hurt, but it sounds like air is being pushed out of my lungs unvoluntarily. This is still a problem to this day as well as all of the other problems I have mentioned. My lower back is also hurting which I brought to the attention of my pediatrician who ordered an x-ray of my lower back and the results of it were fine. Also there are some weird bumps in my groin (I think that is what you call it) area that are becoming more apparent and feel hard, and are increasing in number. I have been home from school yesterday and today because I have not been feeling well because of naseua, feeling hot, tired, the chest pain and pressure, and just generally not feeling well. However, I had no fever.
There are really no diseases in my family, except that my mom has polysistic kidney disease and is now on dialysis awaiting a transplant. My mom scheduled me for an ultrasound for May 10th (tuesday) to see if I have kidney disease and if that is what is causing this. Any thoughts on what might be causing this would be greatly appriciated, as well as any thoughts on how to figure out what this is would be great too.

Thankyou :lol:
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun May 15, 2005 12:44 pm

Well have you done the ultrasound?
 quest4answers - Sun May 15, 2005 1:54 pm

I did have the ultrasound done and I have kidney disease. So I think that explains alot, but I don't know how it relates to everything. I understand that the pain in my side is caused by my cists bursting or something, but I don't see how it causes pain and pressure on the upper part of my chest by my ribs and such. I am also still in the dark about those bumpsI have, and that weird sound when I twist or move my chest even so slightly. However, if it is related to my kidney disease I guess it is just something I will have to get used to. If you have any info on anything I mentioned it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Again :lol:
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon May 16, 2005 2:38 pm

Do you have a copy of the ultrasound report you can send, or at least the final opinion?
It would help to know and then may be we could try and relate the different signs and symptoms to each other.
 quest4answers - Fri May 20, 2005 8:06 pm

Hi again,
My mom probably has the ultrasound report, but i haven't seen it. But the technician told my mom when I had left the room that it looked likle I had cysts on both my kidneys, and then she left the room to give the pictures to a doctor and came back and told us we could leave. We didn't see or talk to anyone besides the technician who did the ultrasound. Whan I lloked at the screen during the ultrasound it looked like I had abut 4 black hole things and my mom said that i had a few cysts on one kidney and on the other she said I had one large. Also my kidenyes were normal size for my age the only thing big was the cysts.Thats what the tech said anyway. As for my lower back pain it isn't getting any better. I have been taking weeks off of gymnastics because the simplist things I was really good at before I can barely do anymore because they hurt so much. There was this one move that I was so pleased with and could do absolutley perfectly no pain no discomfort, but now I can't even do it because I get severe pain when I try and in addition look incredibly stupid since i was once good at them. However, I got no ingury beforemy back pain started occuring. Last night I went to gymnastics and my lower back was hurting already and when i got home my back was hurting even when i stood up and i think it was slightly swollen, but now it hurts when i press on my lower back and i have and have had trouble lying down because it hurts to lay back. The bumps are still there and bigger. And i get a stining pain where the bigger one is during the day and sometimes if I press on the area surrounding it , but it doesn't hurt when i press on the lump itself, it just feels hard. I also had more chest (by upper ribs/ mid ribs) and abdomen right side pain /pressure. I have been noticing that something inside my lower adomen swells sometimes i don't know what it would be but the swelling can be on the left, right, or both sides. I had my mom feel this a while ago (1/2 months) and she said she could feel that there was a difference betwen how my right side felt compared to my left. This swelling occurs at random, but happens at min once a week, and will lat acouple days.

added note: It has been a few days since i wrote this but good news my back no longer hurts when i press on it but it is still painful. I also thought i should mention that for the past few weeks my knee has been bothering and the lasst couple days its been worse and it was hurting when i walked, but the pain comes and goes, and i norice that it only hurts in the late afternnooon and evening. My arms around the elbow have also been hurting for a few months especially when I exercise. I don't like this because when I am at gymnastics my arms will hurt and I am afraid when i do backhand springs my arms will give out. Now i can only do a limited amount of backhand springs because my arms ache so bad.

Thanks again
:lol:

|