Question: badly healed wound, lost suture

ristenk - Mon May 16, 2005 12:13 am

Dear Dr.,
Seven years ago my now nine year old son had minor surgery to remove what I was told was a blood clot on his wrist. During the healing process, the middle stich broke.(there were only three stiches). I Was very displeased with the Pediatrician at the time,and wanted to avoid going back to see him about the broken stich. The incision is about an inch long. I kept the area clean and dry as I was told, But instead of having the wound re-stiched, I put a butterfly bandage on it to hold it closed. It seemed to heal nicely at first. Now that my son has grown a bit, he often has bleeding just under the surface of the skin, over the area where the stich broke.The blood under the skin looks like a clump of tiny dark red blisters. My son says that it is not tender or painful. Should I be concerned about this? What do you suggest?

Thankyou for your time,

Ristenk
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon May 16, 2005 2:49 pm

Dear Ristenk,
I'm not really sure. It could be related to the original blood clot that required surgery, where there is an occasional bleeder or fragile vessels.
It could also be due to the poor wound healing where the blood vessels have become more superficial and prone to trauma.
Anyhow, so long as you think this beeding is not severe and isn't forming a clot again, I don't believe it's serious.
You can bring it up the next time you go for a routine check up. Until then, just avoid trauma to that area.

|