News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: badly healed wound, lost suture

ristenk - Mon May 16, 2005 12:13 am

Dear Dr.,
Seven years ago my now nine year old son had minor surgery to remove what I was told was a blood clot on his wrist. During the healing process, the middle stich broke.(there were only three stiches). I Was very displeased with the Pediatrician at the time,and wanted to avoid going back to see him about the broken stich. The incision is about an inch long. I kept the area clean and dry as I was told, But instead of having the wound re-stiched, I put a butterfly bandage on it to hold it closed. It seemed to heal nicely at first. Now that my son has grown a bit, he often has bleeding just under the surface of the skin, over the area where the stich broke.The blood under the skin looks like a clump of tiny dark red blisters. My son says that it is not tender or painful. Should I be concerned about this? What do you suggest?

Thankyou for your time,

Ristenk
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon May 16, 2005 2:49 pm

Dear Ristenk,
I'm not really sure. It could be related to the original blood clot that required surgery, where there is an occasional bleeder or fragile vessels.
It could also be due to the poor wound healing where the blood vessels have become more superficial and prone to trauma.
Anyhow, so long as you think this beeding is not severe and isn't forming a clot again, I don't believe it's serious.
You can bring it up the next time you go for a routine check up. Until then, just avoid trauma to that area.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here