Question: Intermittent high fevers in 18-MO-OLD...

Justbranches5 - Mon May 23, 2005 6:38 pm

My 18mo daughter has been having fevers of 101-104 (lasting 24- 48 hours) at least 2 times a week for about 3 months. Each time I have her ears and throat checked, only to be told that it is probably just a virus. During the fevers, she is lethargic and irritable with no appetitie, generally miserable.
She was checked last week for a UTI. They put a bag on her and said it came back positive in the office test w/ blood and lucolites (?). When they cultured it, however, it came back negative.
Today, I finally insisted on a complete blood workup and was told that everything was in the normal range except for her segmented white blood cell count was slightly elevated and her Sed rate and C-reactive proteins were both mildy elevated (a "5" (?) on one of them). They also did a strep test (neg) and chest x-ray (clear) and another urine sample for UTI (positive in office--awaiting culture).
As an aside, she also has bad allergies (pollen, etc) and a constant clear runny nose and eczema (cleared up right now). She is not in daycare and stays home with me most days.

Any idea what could be causing the fevers if not a UTI? Any avenues I could suggest that my physician look into? Let me know if you need more info...Thanks so much!
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri May 27, 2005 2:03 pm

Well, if the urine culture came back negative again, this is suggestive of 'viral cystitis', where a viral infection is causing the UTI, and in that case, bacterial cultures would come back negative.
I agree that also viral illnesses anywhere in her body could result in a similar picture.

|