Question: Breastfeeding

pudgey - Wed May 25, 2005 10:20 am

An in-law had a baby on April 22,2005 and she is breastfeeding. She has started breast pumping a lot but still sits down to breastfeed normally. I was at their house the other day and noticed she was drinking beer. Isn't it true that you are not suppose to drink or eat onions as long as the child is receiving breast milk. She said her doctor told her she could have two glasses of wine a day. I thought all alcohol was off limits as long as the child was being breastfed. What do you think?

Thanks,
Pudgey
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 25, 2005 5:58 pm

User avatar Hi pudgey,
Although wine in moderation in some cultures may be acceptable, beer is not wine and in my opinion, (keep in mind this is only my opinion) alcoholic beverages should be refrained from during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The way I view it you wouldn't give a baby a can of beer to drink right? Same thing essentially.
 pudgey - Mon May 30, 2005 1:50 pm

Dear Rntdj: Thanks for your reply. I knew she was crazy when she said it. She just had to go nine months without alcohol and it made her mad. My mother-in-law also said that the alcohol was affecting the breastmilk because the baby cries for milk all the time. Maybe she will truly realize before it makes the baby sick.

Thanks,
Pudgey

|