News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Concerned Father

Scrap - Tue May 31, 2005 9:10 pm

Just wanna say thank god for having such a conveniant forum here for this kinda stuff....anyways. Today my 23 month old son was in his kiddie pool and i noticed that he was drinking the water at one point, then after a few times in and out i got up and looked and saw little bage colored floaters that i thought were from the grass but turned out to be from his diaper that had a small amount of stool, kind of on the diarrhea looking side. Anyways im not sure if he was drinking the water whilst there were afloat with him, but im gonna assume the worst that they were, and i started reading about hepatitus A, so im kinda worried, what should i do.......

P.S. It wasnt long till i noticed the 'floaters', so he maybe took a few drinks at most, and the 'floaters' were the size of like small fish food, just some extra info if it helps...?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:46 am

Dear Scrap,
The water your son drank should be contaminated through another source, other than his stools, for him to catch an infection. Unless he was already harbouring an infection and in that case he would be re-infecting himself by swallowing that water, then there is no need to worry.
Just watch the diarrhea which you say he already has, and if it gets worse and he starts getting dehydrated, then take him immediately for evaluation.
 Scrap - Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:46 pm

Thank you very much Doc., God bless 8)
 Scrap - Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:54 am

Well, my son had an episode of vomitting and fevers just yesterday, and we took him to the hospital and he was slightly dehydrated. I informed the doctor of the stool contaminated water incident and was concerned that his fever/vomitting might've been a result of, and he didnt really seem to take it into consideration as if he thought it didnt matter, but i think it does from gut feeling and from what u said doc....should i get a 2nd opinion or no??.... and out of the blue he started acting extremely fatigued and would fall asleep very fast right before vomitting on friday afternoon, followed by a high fever of 103.

So thats what happened and all they diagnosed was a possible urinary infection which came back negative after a urine test and they are performing a culture test as we speak.

Confused ??? :?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:02 pm

No need for confusion at all. Most cases of diarrhea and vomiting are self-limited and improve even without specific treatment, so long as fluids are given for the dehydration.
Was there a stool analysis done?
 Scrap - Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:59 pm

Ok, good, we gave him pedialyte to re-hydrate him, and .....no there wasnt a stool test performed, just urine, Im guessing i should ask for one when the culture tests come back??.... :?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:17 am

Yes, it would be wise to have one done.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here