Question: 8 years old having back pain and horrible headaches

deetlebug - Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:24 pm

Dear Doctor
my 8 year old is having headaches accompied with nausa and back pain we have had a Ct scan and it was normal I am scared i have blamed it on growing pains and him not liking school but he is On the A B honor roll so i don't think it is school he loves it and like to go he has almost perfect attendance he has only missed 2 days the whole school year so I am at a lose he takes 2mg of cyproheptad a subtitute for periactin and he is a zombie for 2 days so i changed it to 1/4 of a tablet and he is still in another world ????? no fever just a very pale color and the headaches start in the middle of the head and go all over could he have migraines and if so why so young
Thank You
Dorothy Riffle
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:18 pm

Dear Dorothy,
A normal CT scan is usually very reassuring!
Yes, migraines can occur at this age, but to be more sure, we need a more detailed description of the headache.
Like, is it preceeded by aura, such as flashes of light? Any blurring of vision? What starts and what improves it? Does sleep help it go away?
I know it is difficult for a child to describe the character of the pain, but sometimes their decription can be very informative.
 deetlebug - Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:52 pm

He says light hurts and the headaches go away after sleeping to only return either the next day or the same day.The Doctor thought maybe it was allergies but even when he takes his medication for allergies he still gets headaches he says he feels weak and does not want to get up.. they just come about all of the sudden. I don't really want him to be a pin cushion in which it looks that is the way they are heading I realize medicine is a hit and miss when trying to diagnos when no specific signs are showing so I am trying to do as much research as possible thank you for your help .
Dorothy Riffle
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:21 am

I suggest a fundus examination.

|