News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: scarlet fever caused by foodbourne illness????

jodster - Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:07 pm

Hello there. I have a wierd question for you. My daughter was quite ill back in March due to a foodbourne illness. She was just 5 and a half months at teh time. Anyhow, her symptoms were severe diarrhea, vomitting, lethargy, high fevers(104) which lasted 6 days and on the seventh day she broke out in a rash which was diagnosed as scarlet fever at the hospital. Nobody else in our home( I also have a 2 year old) came down with any of these symptoms and I am wondering now if scarlet fever can be caused by a foodbourne illness. I have read that it can be bacterial , and something about hemoytic bacteria , and something to do with ecoli, etctec. Just wondering if yu can help me understand this. Thank You Very Kindly
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:17 am

Hello,
Scarlet fever follows infection by group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal infection.
Usually, the sites of group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal growth in scarlet fever are the tonsils and pharynx, but scarlet fever may also follow streptococcal infection of the skin and soft tissue, surgical wounds, or the uterus.
Clinically, there is a sudden onset of fever associated with sore throat, headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, myalgias, and malaise.
The characteristic rash appears 12-48 hours after onset of fever and resembles a sunburn with goose pimples.
Scarlet fever is also known to be rare in children younger than 2 years.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here