Question: Multiple concerns

Roxie213 - Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:50 am

MY 9 year old step-daughter has 2 marble size (larger than a quarter) lumps very close to each other on the right side of her head behind her ear and above her neck hairline. She reported her mother told her that the mother had the same thing and dr said they were calcium deposits so she has not taken the daughter to the dr to check the daughter's lumps assuming they are calcium deposits just like hers. From what I have found on-line this seems like cause for concern. The lumare very hard and not movable. Daughter can't remember how long they have been there but it took a while before she asked dad since mom apparently is doing nothing. What could these be? How are they treated and how are they caused?
Also I think she has poor nutrition and have recently noticed that her ears appear yellow compared to the rest of her pale body. She is so pale that her veins can be easily seen in legs hands feet and arms. I have tried vitamin supplements but we can only help when she is here. Is this cause for concern or is she simply light skinned? Her dentist reported that some people just have dark yellow adult teeth but considering she had bottle rot and 8 baby teeth had to be extracted I am concerned her adult teeth are coming in very dark compared to the baby teeth she has left. And my last concern is her back. There are two areas where it seems different than the overall slight curvature in scoliosis as it is not slight and only in two areas. Any respons or reassurance or direction would be helpful. Thank You
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:17 pm

Dearest Angelina,
As regards the lumps, I believe they need to be seen by a doctor. It doesn't have to be something serious, but someone has to have a look.
Pallor is usually judged by the degree of pinkness of the palms and soles, as well as that of the inner sides of the lips and eyelids. You can simply use the colour of your own skin and mucous membranes in those areas as a standard for comparison (provided you are not anemic yourself?!). If you then think she is pale, then that warrants a complete blood count to exclude anemia. Visible veins is seen in light skinned persons.
Your description of her teeth and back again suggest she needs a proper evaluation by a physician, and please check her percentiles.
 Roxie213 - Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:33 am

After a drama situation the bio-mom took my step-daughter to the docter. He ordered blood work for anemia and possibly other stuff that dad and I weren't informed about. He expressed her back did not seem to have scoliosis but he was concerened about excessive hair on her lower back that could indicate a problem and ordered an MRI of her back to check spinal development. He said that the lumps were reactive lymph nodes. All the information I can find that has commonality between excessive hair growth and reactive lymph nodes and anemia has to do with tumors or leukemia. Is there any positive news to be reassuring aobut these conditions before the blood work results are in? This is extremely anxiety producing and any advice would be helpful.
Angelina
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:30 am

Angelina,
I don't believe that the association signifies anything.
Excessive hair on the lower back usually overlies a congenital defect in the spine.
Reactive lymph nodes are lymph nodes that enlarge as a result of infection or repeated infections, indicating that a person's immune system is functioning well.
Anemia could result from several causes, but the most common is a nutritional defciency in iron intake, which is probably the case here.

|