Question: whooping cough

jenny81285 - Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:06 am

I just found out that a child at my cousins b-day party has whooping cough and I have a one and a half yr old and I was pregnant at the time he is now a week and a half. My daughter and I were both exposed to it at close range, although niether of my children have symptoms yet I want to know if my newborn is at risk scince I was pregnant and how long it takes symptoms to show up? It was between the 20-25 of May that we were exposed.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:59 pm

Dear Jenny,
It typically takes 7-10 days for symptoms to appear following exposure, but it may range from 6-20 days.
Whooping cough is spread by contact with droplets coughed out by someone with the disease or by contact with recently contaminated hard surfaces upon which the droplets landed. Infection could not therefore reach your baby while you were pregnant.
It would be wise to call your children's doctor to inform him/her.

|