Question: My son's testicles and penis have not grown since surgery

gemkindagirl - Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:48 pm

My son was born a normal child. His testicles were decended until he reached the age of 3. I noticed alot of changes in my son when he was 3. He started putting on ALOT of weight and I couldn't seem to find his testicles. We took him to a urologist and he found his testicles and wanted to wait a year to see what would happen. When my son was 4 years old he had surgery because his testicles had turned up and attached to the vas deferans. Since the surgery his testicles have not grown at all and his weight is still out of control. I have pictures of my son from before his testicles attached and after and he looks like two different children. I know his weight has everything to do with his testicles not growing and I am concerned. I don't know what to do about his growth problems. His testicles are the size of a small lima bean and his penis is so small and stays pulled inside that it is barely visible. My son is 8 years old now and I am seriously concerned about him. When I take him to the doctor he tells me not to worry and that everything is normal, but I don't think so. They tell me when he reachs puberty that this will all change. I know this is doing damage to his testicles because they are always close to his body and can't regulate his body temperature. His testicles are supposed to be producing testosterone but being so undergrown I am worried that they are not producing anything and this is what is causing his weight problems. He doesn't over eat, I have a 9 year old daughter that eats more then him and is just as active as him. Do I need to find a new doctor for my son and demand that something be done, like hormone therepy or something. I'm at a loss and desperate to know if anyone else has been through this.
 Kim C, RN - Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:10 pm

I can't answer your question about what is causing your son's problem. What I can tell you, from one mother to another, is that if you're not happy with the care your son is receiving, you absolutely have the right to seek that care elsewhere.

What would I do if I were as worried as you? I'd find another physician and get a second opinion. It would at least serve the purpose of easing my mind that my child was getting the best care available, as well as the opinion of two qualified physicians.

Good luck to you.

|