News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Muscle Enzymes

kiwibird - Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:31 am

My son 9 y 9mnths has had a flu like viral infection that seemed to affect his leg muscles - plantar foot, unable to walk for approx 24 hrs - his muscle enzymes result was 2000 our Dr said normal is 20. He is walking now and has no pain. However his count is still high indicating inflammation (altho' he has no pain and is walking fine now.) and we have a message to go back for more tests. What would raise his enzyme count like that, I am worried. Ny info would be appreciated
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:51 am

Hello,
It is most likely that you are describing a condition known as 'viral myositis', which is an inflammation of the muscle following a viral infection.
It usually presents with fever, malaise, and a running nose followed 1-7 days later by severe muscle pain which worsens with movement, especially with walking. These symptoms generally last 1-7 days.
Regarding muscle enzymes, they may reach as high as 500 times the normal, and may take a while for them to return back to normal.
It is very reassuring that he is now walking and in no pain. Go get those labs done, it won't do any harm, and inform me with the results.
 JewelsHD - Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:37 pm

In Jan 2004, at 43 yrs of age, I had Bell's Pallsy that lasted for 5 months. Then, later in 2004, I had a bad episode with Lipitor---my muscle enzyme count was over 2000 and I was hospitalized for a few days. I have been off Lipitor and all other Cholesterol medication since then. However, I still don't feel good. My muscles always feel week and/or crampy. About 2 months ago, my stomach muscle cramped up so bad it caused me (225 lb male) to drop to the ground. I was tested for Lyme disease, but that was negative. I was tested for diabetes; my glucose count was high, but I am not diabetic. My muscle enzyme count was over 500 the last time it was tested, but, my Neurologist said it was okay because I was under a lot of stress. He then put me on anti-depressants. I stopped taking the anti-depressants because I'm not depressed, there is something wrong with me. I don't believe it is normal for a 43 yr old man to have no energy, be tired all the time, and to not have the strength to hold my 1 yr old son in my arms. Can anyone shed some light on this mystery? Thanks! [/i]
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:40 am

As a pediatrician I may not be of much help to you, but I can't help feeling concerned.
However, there is an aspect of your story that caught my attention and which I believe we could explore further.
You said your blood sugar was high, yet you were not diagnosed with diabetes, can you please specify the value of your blood sugar then, and what additional tests were done to exclude diabetes?
If no further testing was done, you ought to discuss this with your doctor, as diabetes in adults may sometimes present with a similar picture to yours.
 JewelsHD - Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:43 am

Thanks, Dr. The Diabetes test was more than 6 months ago, and, if memory serves me, I believe the result was either 298 or 310 (those #'s are sticking in my head for some reason). There have been no subsequent tests to exclude Diabetes. My father was a Diabetic, but died of heart failure at age 65. I just moved from NY to NC; I will try to find a Dr. down here who can put me through a battery of tests, including diabetes. Two last questions.....what type of Doctor should I seek? An Endochrinologist? A Neurologist? And, are there any other tests you would recommend that I ask them to run? Thank you so much for your help! You sound like an excellent physician!
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:36 pm

I agree a neurologist is the one to seek.
You may need to repeat the muscle enzymes, perform an EMG, plus or minus a muscle biopsy.
Please keep us noted, and best of luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here