News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: skin rash and discoloration

ethiopia - Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:42 am

My 22 month old son has a slight discolaration and small rash looking things above his mouth and around the chin area. It started as a rash but changed into a more permanant discolaration (white). Is there any thing we can do to treat? We have been trying to put baby vasline but it has not worked. Any suggestions? Thank you.
 Michele P, RN - Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:52 pm

ethiopia wrote:My 22 month old son has a slight discolaration and small rash looking things above his mouth and around the chin area. It started as a rash but changed into a more permanant discolaration (white). Is there any thing we can do to treat? We have been trying to put baby vasline but it has not worked. Any suggestions? Thank you.

I wrote a great post & my computer jammed up & I couldnt post it :evil: So here I go again, lol:

Its hard to tell just what the "white" is by reading & not looking so if you have not taken your son to the pediatrician, you might want to do so based on what it might truly be that is giving him the spots. It could be a simple case of drewling, causing rashes (very common). It could be more a heat rash or it could be candita (yeast). If it is yeast, he needs an antibiotic creme to remove it & putting vaseline on it will not help.

If it is just a rash from drewling, something to use as a "sealant' would be very helpful. I have always found Gold Bond to be the wonder lotion/powder for everything. There is also another product on the market called Udderly Smooth. Though I have never in my experience had a doctor prescribe it for a patient, my 13yr old daughter had a lot of problems with chapping & rashes in the same areas. We found this product in our local CVS & it works wonders. Not only is it a sealant, it helps with making the skin smooth & rash free. As long as you know this is not fungal, I would suggest trying that or Gold Bond for break-outs and future breakout prevention. I have never found in patients or with my own children (6 kids) Vaseline to do much of anything to be honest.

Regarding the white spots, you can try Vitamin E. It works very well on stretch marks & scars. Your son's pediatrician might suggest a dermatoligist to give you a Rx method, which normally works a lot quicker than the old OTC way.

Just make sure you know the reason for the rash!!
Good luck :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here